Job Title: Assistive Technology Instructor
Department: Rehabilitation Services
Reports To: Director_Rehabilitation Services
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Responsible for the execution of HKSB’s Mission, goals and objectives through the demonstration and instruction of computer hardware and software systems to visually impaired consumers in the HKSB Brooklyn and/or Hempstead Assistive Technology Centers. Assist outside personnel in adapting their computer systems to accommodate HKSB consumers. Maintain, update and repair department computers and peripherals. Maintain positive communication with clients, outside employers, CBVH staff, vendors and HKSB employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specifically responsible for:
• Demonstrate and instruct clients on:
? Microcomputer’s and their operating systems such as Windows 98, NT, 2000, XP and Windows 7.
? Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
? Corel WordPerfect, Lotus 123
? Internet Explorer (all versions)
? Digital book players/recorders
• Demonstrate and instruct clients on assistive technology including:
? All large print magnification software (i.e., Zoom Text, Magic)
? All screen reading devices (i.e., JAWS, Window Eyes)
? Braille output systems both hardware and refreshable
? Note taking devices (Braille and digital)
• Act as a liaison to outside organizations, companies and educational facilities to determine appropriate adaptions/accommodations.
• Assist outside IT professionals in installing and configuring assistive technologies.
• Schedule and maintain client appointments.
• Maintain client equipment securely.
• Prepare all client reports.
• Prepare monthly rosters.
• Maintain, update and repair department computers and peripherals.
• Troubleshoot agency computers.
• Research and evaluate new assistive technologies to determine suitability for HKSB clients.
• Independently schedules and coordinates all client instruction.
• Coordinates client services with CBVH staff and other HKSB instructors.
• Act as a liaison with outside organizations, CBVH staff, vendors, etc.
• Assist in achieving department contract goals.
• Responsible for other duties as may be assigned or requested by his/her immediate supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A minimum of an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university in the computer field or 2 years related experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate basic math concepts..
This position will be evaluated based on the incumbent ability to prioritize, time management skills and flexibility. In addition customer service will be measured and evaluated according to the standardized tool used for all employees providing service to internal and external customers
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SAFETY & SECURITY
All workers are under obligation to follow rules and regulations pertaining to safety and security. Failure to comply with safety & security rules and regulations will result in disciplinary action and ultimately termination of employment.