National Wildlife Federation is seeking a top-notch Philanthropy Officer (PO), who will be responsible for obtaining gifts from individuals at the $25K+ level. The primary emphasis is on the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of new and existing NWF donors and prospects that will support the Keeping the Wild Alive philanthropy campaign. The Philanthropy Officer creates and grows the philanthropic culture at NWF and will be the external face of philanthropy and fundraising for National Wildlife Federation. This position will focus on the greater NYC region and be based in a home office located in NYC.
- Manage relationships with current donors and identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward new relationships.
- Participates in all aspects of the gift cycle:
- Identify and research prospects.
- Initiate contacts with potential major gift donors and develop appropriate cultivation strategies.
- Move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure.
- Make direct solicitations through face-to-face solicitation.
- Maintain stewardship contacts and manage donor relations.
- Responsible for soliciting gifts of $25K and higher from individuals.
- Develop and communicate to donors a thorough understanding of NWF's conservation and education programs and projects of special interest.
- Maintain familiarity with current and local, regional and national environmental issues.
- Build and enhancing relationships with approximately 75-100 donor prospects.
- Design and implementing prospect cultivation and solicitation strategies using work plans and stewardship plans.
- Conduct 75 prospect visits per year.
- Establish collaborative and productive relationships with the program staff of the organization and become knowledgeable regarding the organizations priorities, programs, events, etc.
- Work with national and regional offices to coordinate donor cultivation meetings and events.
- Maintain donor files, prospect management-related information, and administrative reporting as appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in strategic fundraising, including demonstrated success identifying, cultivating, and closing $25K+ gifts from high-net worth individuals; experience raising funds for the environment a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically while executing tactically in order to meet the organizations growing funding needs.
- Demonstrated track record of soliciting annual and major gifts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the proven ability to represent the organization publicly and passionately to potential funders and other partners.
- Ability to work across diverse cultures and different time-zones in order to address global opportunities.
- Ability to work independently while also functioning within a small team.
- Strong attention to detail; organized and systematic in donor follow-through and stewardship.
- Ability to thrive in a mission-driven environment with a strong culture.
- Experience with donor databases.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite 2007/2010.
National Wildlife Federation is America's largest conservation organization, passionate about protecting wildlife for our children's future. NWF offers an excellent benefits package. NWF is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.