Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We are a growing 1500+ person firm with 10 practices: Structural Engineering, Forensics, Applied Science, Renewal, Property Loss Consulting, Construction Engineering, Protective Design and Security, Facade Engineering, Sustainability and Transportation. We work on everything from landmark buildings to small-scale specialty structures, from the historic to the high performing, while balancing multiple objectives, including form, function, schedule, sustainability, constructability and budget. TALENT is at the core of our business.
Thornton Tomasetti has an immediate opportunity for a Designer.
The ideal candidate will act as a team member on a variety of projects, which may include participating in field forensics investigations, analyzing existing buildings, writing reports, developing repair drawings and specifications, and technical consultation (such as envelope detailing) on new building structures.
* On-site inspection/investigation including surveying and documenting observations, photographing, and sketching
* Researches historical background of diverse building types, technical issues, and code issues
* Organizes field data to facilitate analysis and problem solving
* Analyzes building envelopes, disabled access and energy code compliance, structural details, sitework, and a variety of cross-discipline issues
* Maintains project records
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability; individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate typical office equipment, as well as field equipment such as ladders.
* Professional Degree (Master's preferred) in architecture, architectural engineering, or related
* Up to three years of experience, with existing buildings preferred
* Field experience with diverse building types preferred
* Excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills
* Excellent organization skills
Potential additional criteria may also include:
* Ability and willingness to travel within the US and internationally
* Ability to attend meetings at various office, field and construction sites
* Ability to perform inspections of buildings and other structures, both visually and with instruments
* Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 30 lbs.
* Ability to perform work in temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors and unconditioned spaces
* Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
* Ability and willingness to safely work at heights
* Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
* Ability and willingness to work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations, including confined spaces
* Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
* Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
Thornton Tomasetti is proud to be an equal employment workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Thornton Tomasetti are considered without regards to age, ancestry, color, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, protected family care or medical leave status, race, religion (including beliefs and practices or the absence thereof), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Please access the linked document by clicking select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.