GKN Aerospace is the world's leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 50manufacturing locations in 15countries, we serve over 90% of the world's aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world's advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to bebetter in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
Provide Manufacturing Engineering support to operational and development Programs to enable and deliver zero defect projects utilizing engineering and problem solving skills. Accountable for delivering robust, capable manufacturing process technology as it applies to materials, tooling, part fabrication and assembly.
- Exemplifying a safety-first mind-set and ensuring compliance with the GKN Aerospace Health, Safety and Environmental policies and standards.
- Responsible for the development of technical solutions to complex problems within GKN Aerospace, our customers and suppliers.
- Deliver technical support of manufacturing process development and integration for production.
- Employ Zero Defect Manufacturing tools to eliminate non-conformances.
- Maintain positive, team relationships with internal and external customers, as well as co-workers
- Continuously improve production processes by implementing Lean initiatives.
- Support/lead root cause and corrective action investigations
- Interface with interested parties as a member of the product IPT.
- Responsible for the development and continuous improvement of manufacturing process solutions to complex problems through:
- Accountable for the implementation of production planning, from original concept through to production. Design these processes to a high level of process capability through utilizing the GKN standard Zero Defect Manufacturing (ZDM) tool suite.
- Accountable for product development, first article development, configuration changes, build process definition and implementation.
- Lead the product team with a "zero tolerance for defects" mindset
- Support equipment preventative maintenance, tooling, and technician training as a representative of the Chief Manufacturing Engineer (CME)
Technical expertise in Manufacturing Engineering, with a professional qualification / background (university degree) in engineering (Aerospace, Mechanical, Manufacturing)
- Fully competent in own field of work, developing skills in other areas.
- Increasingly able to provide Technical input at all levels of work
- Capable of being a technical representative, representing the business at a customer / supplier meeting
- Identifies and anticipates technical problems and offers solutions
- Drives to complete the job on time and continually searches for better ways of doing things
- Understands situations by analysing them logically and uses information in a systematic way identifying appropriate course of action for resolution.
- Ability to apply complex and non-routine analysis
Participates in activities within a global technical community and understanding of the interface with broader business functions
- Competent member of the technical community with a good understanding of other disciplines
- Acts without supervision in own area and able to mentor others.
- Applies knowledge and skills to a range of activities
- Provides support to the technical community and show commercial awareness at local level
Develops working relationships through team work, influencing, leadership, coaching and personal drive to succeed:
- Recognises the culture and climate within the organisation
- Sets example through own behaviour and attitude. Able to contribute to effective project plans
- Proactive approach demonstrated in team environment to achieve knowledge management
- Explains concepts to a variety of audiences and ensures meaning is understood
- Creates formal networks with key-decision makers internally and externally
- Coaches others to do their jobs better, take on new jobs and sustain their ability to meet the business need
- Carries out Continuing Professional Development (CPD) necessary to ensure competence in areas identified and at the future professional level intended
- Develops new ideas
- Bachelors degeers in engineering or related fields (i.e. Mechanical, Chemical, Aerospace, etc.); Will accept equivalent combination of education and professional experience in lieu of degreee.
- 3 years of experience in Manufacturing Engineering wtih exposure to QMS
- Must be able to perform work subject to ITAR/EAR regulations and/or program requirements.
- U.S. persons with ability to obtain a Department of Defense Security Clearance
- 2 year experience in quality system models such as ISO9000, AS9100, or D1-9000
- Fluent in English language, both written and spoken
- Project / Program Management
- Familiarity with AS9145 APQP process or equivalent
- Prepared to travel domestically; Expected travel <5% of year.
***Access to our facility (and, therefore, employment) is restricted under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or Export Administration Regulations (EAR) to U.S. Citizens, lawful permanent residents, U.S. refugees, asylees or temporary residents under amnesty provisions [as defined in 8 USC 1324b(a)(3)] and properly licensed foreign persons. Applicants receiving a conditional offer of employment will be required to provide information to determine whether they are subject to these regulations and, if so, to assess their country of chargeability for trade compliance control purposes. Additionally, potential employee's names will be screened against the Consolidated Screening List (maintained by the United States government) to determine eligibility to receive technical data.
Diversity Inclusion and Belonging (DIB)
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.