Position at Matson Navigation Company of Alaska, LLC
Matson, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol MATX. Founded in 1882, Matson is one of the leading U.S. ocean shipping and logistics companies in the Pacific and provides a vital lifeline to the remote economies of Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, Micronesia and select South Pacific islands. It operates a premium, expedited service from China to Southern California. Established in 1987, Matson subsidiary Matson Logistics extends the geographic reach of Matson's transportation network throughout the continental U.S with integrated, asset-light logistics services including rail intermodal, highway brokerage and warehousing.
Responsible for the processing of various accounting and office activities. Duties include but are not limited to: accounts receivable, payroll, accounts payable, recordkeeping, compliance, responding to customer inquiries, and other duties as assigned.
Primary Duties, Responsibilities & Technical Requirements
- Responsible for processing and distributing terminal billings to customers, vessel billings, third party billings, and any additional billings using Workday.
- Create and process work orders from the Gatehouse and Maintenance operations group.
- Process Port recovery charges or any payments received from customers.
- Correspond, research and resolve any inquiries from customers, employees, and internal customers within Matson.
- Perform all duties associated with the Accounts Receivable function, which includes extensive communicating with our corporate office and customers regarding submissions and discrepancies. Perform customer set-up, GL coding, and maintain logs and reports.
- Perform office duties including greeting customers, answering phones, mail distribution, office supplies, new hire process, personnel files, assisting payroll and accounts payable when needed, and file maintenance
- Correspond daily with the Compliance Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be a team player.
- Effective Communications - Communicates in a variety of settings including one-on-one, small and large groups, or among a diverse group of customers or position levels.
- Resourcefulness - Applies knowledge of internal processes and culture to effectively gain resources to get things done. Multi-tasks activities to accomplish goals.
- Teamwork- Ability to work within a team environment and foster collaboration among the team
Qualifications, Education, & Experience
- High School diploma with two (2) years of experience in an accounting and/or payroll position.
- College degree in accounting preferred but not required.
- Current knowledge of payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable processes.
- Possesses solid accounting and analytical skills.
- Ability to maintain a high level of integrity and confidentiality.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Effective communication with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to multi-task to meet numerous deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize daily schedules and responsibilities remaining flexible to change and new circumstances.
- Must have work schedule flexibility and the ability to work overtime, evenings and weekends if needed.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Prior experience working with a union workforce is desired.
Matson is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, AIDS/HIV status, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including, but not limited to, the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.