Click here to view this job overview in ASL:
Benefits of interpreting with Sorenson:
- Flexible Scheduling with no minimum or required shifts
- Premium shifts offered to boost hourly wage
- Earn CEU's
- Opportunity for annual certification, testing and membership/licensure reimbursement up to 100% based on average hours worked
- 401K plans with employer contribution
- Remote options in the US and Canada
- No scripts
- Resiliency/Vicarious Trauma resources available at no cost
- Company-wide Network
- Transfer and visiting interpreter opportunities to any of the centers across the US and Canada
A successful candidate will have:
- Ability to pass our required skills assessment
- A high school diploma or GED
- An associate's or bachelor's degree (preferred, but not required)
- Interpreter certification
- 3 years' experience working as an interpreter
- Ability to troubleshoot basic technical issues
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic, highly regulated and customer service focused environment
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, tools and to handle other computer components
- Regular and predictable attendance
Job Location: Minnesota
Sorenson Communications is expanding our Video Relay Service (http://www.sorensonvrs.com/). As a result, we are seeking Interpreters to provide Sign-to-Voice and Voice-to-Sign interpreting services. Full and part-time positions are available in the US and in Canada.
If you are applying for a role which requires face to face interactions with co-workers or customers, you will be required to comply with our company's vaccination policy.
As a condition of employment, all employees are required to comply with the vaccination or testing requirements outlined in our company policy (for certain roles) as soon as practicable. Our policy requires either proof of vaccination or compliance with our vaccination exemption process.
- Effectively interpret between American Sign Language (ASL) and spoken English
- Maintain, as applicable, compliance with any national, state, or local licensure and/or certification requirements
- Demonstrate full compliance with Sorenson standards and policies, FCC regulations and the RID Code of Professional Conduct
- Demonstrate full compliance with Sorenson Communications attendance policy
- Accurately complete assigned tasks/duties, projects and paperwork promptly and within approved guidelines
- The ability to maintain a flexible work schedule, in order to meet the demands of the VRS industry, is essential for this position.
- Possess the ability to quickly learn and implement new and changing technologies
- Work effectively in a team environment; receive support from and provide support to colleagues
- Possess the ability to work effectively in an environment with oversight that may include, but is not limited to call monitoring, mentoring and evaluations
- Possess the ability to work effectively in a fast paced, dynamic, highly regulated environment
- Enhance interpreting skills through continued education training
- Demonstrate willingness and ability to complete additional duties and assignments on an on-going basis
- Have a dedicated, lockable room in your home for VRS
- Will be required to have high speed internet that meets company requirements
- Able to work at minimum 20 hours per week and maintain a flexible work schedule in order to meet service demands
- Sorenson Communications is committed to connecting people every day through communications access 24/7/365. Our customers rely on us and our innovative technology to quickly deliver accuracy in every conversation. We are industry leaders because, in all our endeavors, our customers sense our passion, our care, and our commitment. This dedication extends to our workplace. Our employees are united and proud to be part of important human interactions and understand that everything we do to facilitate communication creates connections and enhances relationships between people.
- Sorenson Communications, LLC. offers Video Relay Service (VRS), which gives Deaf, who use American Sign Language (ASL), and hearing people the option to communicate in their preferred language - either ASL or spoken English or Spanish. Sorenson also provides onsite and remote interpreting services between English and various other world languages.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Sorenson Communications is an EOE, Disability/Age Employer.
Diploma of High School (required)
3 years: interpreting experience (previous VRS experience preferred) (required)
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)