Our mission is to partner with government agencies to deliver digital services and infrastructure that makes programs simple, effective, and accessible to all. As a public benefit corporation, our intent is not to win as much work as we can, but to design a portfolio that makes the highest leverage progress against that mission.
About this Role
Nava is hiring a VP of Engineering to lead and grow the engineering organization. This seasoned leader will be responsible for the strategy and execution towards building differentiated, delivery-focused, and impactful engineering teams across our portfolio, that allow us to make rapid progress towards our mission. This executive role will report to the Chief Delivery Officer.
As VP of Engineering, you will be responsible for leading Nava's engineering organization of over 100 and contributing to Nava's continued growth and success. As an organization matrixed along Practices (engineering, design, product, project) and Programs (our contract portfolios), you will be the leader of our engineering practice, and collaborate deeply with both Practice leadership and Program leadership to make progress against Nava's mission.
You will be responsible for a vision and strategy for an Engineering organization that can design, build, launch, and operate public sector digital services, products, and infrastructure at massive scale, often under legislative and public scrutiny. As a consultancy, you will be responsible for an Engineering practice that continually improves at delivering value, building client trust, and positively impacting end-users. With other Practice leaders and your engineering leadership, you will build clear and compelling growth paths for engineering staff that supports successful careers within Nava, improves retention, and improves our long term delivery effectiveness and differentiation. With Programs and Business Development, you will work closely with government clients and vendor partners to position for and win high leverage, mission-aligned contracts to deliver critical public services and infrastructure. With the Executive team, you will contribute to decisions about Nava's long term strategy and the policies, structures, and practices that will support us in pursuit of our mission.
You will spend most of your time setting Nava's engineering delivery strategy and vision, identifying structural improvements to delivering value or building client trust as the organization grows, recruiting senior leaders, supporting new business development efforts across the portfolio, and interacting with prospective and existing government customers. You will build and lead your engineering leadership team, and build clarity and direction as they coach and mentor engineering managers, recruit and retain diverse engineering talent, and ultimately grow engineering leaders on your team. You will build best practices for how engineers work in a professional services firm, and set the standard for what successful modernization projects in government look like and how they can be delivered. You will meet with government clients and vendor partners to understand needs and industry trends, and ensure that Nava is successfully solving technology problems so that government services can meet the changing needs of the public. The VP of Engineering will have several key responsibilities:Delivery
- Define a clear engineering vision for the organization that can design, build, launch, and operate public sector digital services, products, and infrastructure at scale
- Work with Engineering and Practice leaders, continually identifying improvements in Nava's delivery approach that maximizes value delivered to users and clients
- Grow a highly aligned, high energy engineering practice that supports the growth and development of staff, as well as the growth and development of contracts
- Foster technical knowledge sharing to mitigate program/contract siloing and build a more robust overall practice with a "one firm" culture
- Ensure staff consistently hit billable hours targets, and that engineering initiatives achieve high return-on-investment for non-billable time
Leadership and Talent Development
- Support the development of bids, pitches, and meetings with existing and prospective clients to position Nava as the best digital services delivery firm in the industry
- Build an engineering practice that is differentiated against competition in challenging delivery environments and in capture settings
- Identify investments towards new engineering capabilities as they intersect with market trends, leverage points, and our overall company strategy
- Developing engineering leaders who can partner with BD / Program leadership on new / organic growth opportunities
Practice and Culture
- Drive organizational planning and strategy for the engineering practice, including opening and filling critical leadership positions and ensuring a high level of management maturity
- Lead the engineering talent strategy, with People Ops and Delivery Ops teams to attract, grow, and retain talent
- Define clear and compelling growth paths for staff that align career progression with increasing value to the company; ensure performance management is strong
- Work with engineering leadership and other practice leaders, continually improve Nava's internal training and effectiveness in our professional services and government delivery contexts
- Cascade decision making clearly internally to build trust and strengthen the engineering organization's momentum
- Work within Nava's decision making models to define and execute participatory methods of improving structural issues or practices
- 10+ years of progressive engineering leadership experience, including 3+ years as a senior partner or engineering executive
- Scaling engineering organizations to 200 staff and beyond - experience and bias toward a "company-builder" frame of mind
- Experience managing the business dynamics in a professional services firm (billable hours, contract portfolios, client services skills).
- Track record of successfully delivering business results in rapidly-scaling companies, from hiring and building teams to driving new lines of business to building new capabilities strategically
- Experience partnering with business development and finance departments to strategize new growth and make long-term investments in new lines of business
- Capacity and resilience to develop, build, and grow strong working relationships at all levels of leadership, management, and the organization
- Confidence and proven communication ability (verbal and written) to present challenging and complex concepts simply to a diverse audience
- High level of personal integrity, ethics, motivation, and ability to foster mutual respect and inclusion
- Government contracting experience is not required but a plus.
Compensation Range: $200,000 - $230,000
- Lived in United States at least 3 years out of the last 5 years
- Able to attain and maintain Public Trust clearance or higher (An active green card or citizenship is required).
Perks working with NAVA
- 20 days of PTO accrued, 13 days paid federal holidays, 5 floating holidays, unlimited sick leave.
- NAVA covers 90% of medical premiums and 100% of vision and dental premiums for their employees.
- 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave and weekly meal deliveries during leave.
- 401k contributions match at 4% of your salary.
- Flexible work arrangements.
- $1000 new home office set up budget and monthly phone allowance.
- $2,000 annual tuition and professional development budget.
- Equity stock options.
- Employee referral program.
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance.
- Life and Accidental Death.
- Diverse, inclusive, highly collaborative, and vibrant culture fostering remote work!
Remote or from one of Nava's offices in DC or SF.
Remote work locations: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington.
*If you are not living in one of the states listed above, unfortunately, you will not be considered for a position at this time.
We're a small team working to radically improve our government, so everyone that joins us has a direct impact on the direction and success of Nava. We are stewards - we hold a deep responsibility towards the systems that we work with. We are a community - we value collaboration both within our teams and with the many hardworking people within government. We offer generous benefits and equity.
Nava PBC equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values as a public benefit corporation but also enriches our ability to do our work.
Please contact the recruiting team at email@example.com if you would like to request reasonable accommodation during the application or interviewing process.
We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Nava. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.