Click here to view this job overview in ASL:
Benefits of interpreting with Sorenson:
- Flexible Scheduling with no minimum or required shifts
- You can pick and choose which work you want to do
- Pay for both a cancelled assignment and a replacement assignment that occurs during the same time frame
- You are reimbursed for parking, tolls, and mileage at $0.56/mile for all assignments
- You can get paid for travel time too when it's between other Sorenson community assignments
- There are differentials for Night, Graveyard, Weekend and Legal assignments.
- We withhold taxes and pay by Direct Deposit.
- You will have access to some employee benefits such as: Yearly professional development stipend (minimum weekly hours required), 24/7 Telehealth
- Auto enrollment in 401K and access to retirement planning
- Group rates for vision and dental plans, short-term disability, Life, Accident and Critical Illness, EAP
A successful candidate will have:
- Ability to pass our required skills assessment
- A high school diploma or GED
- An associate's or bachelor's degree (preferred, but not required)
- Interpreter certification
- 3 years' experience working as an interpreter
- Ability to travel independently in the metropolitan area
- Where driving is required - access to a vehicle, valid driver's license, and person vehicular insurance at the minimum state required level
Job Location: DC Metro/Northern Virginia
Sorenson Communications is looking for part-time Deaf and hearing community interpreters to provide the highest quality interpretation services for Deaf consumers in multiple locations company wide. Hours scheduled will meet the needs of community demands.
Candidates must display a wide continuum of language skills in American Sign Language and English and consistently exhibit excellent internal and external customer service. This position is available to new applicants and current Sorenson non-exempt employees in good standing. All applicants must take and pass a screening for verification of skill sets in order to deliver effective services.
If you are applying for a role which requires face to face interactions with co-workers or customers, you will be required to comply with our company's vaccination policy.
As a condition of employment, all employees are required to comply with the vaccination or testing requirements outlined in our company policy (for certain roles) as soon as practicable. Our policy requires either proof of vaccination or compliance with our vaccination exemption process.
- Hearing interpreters will effectively interpret between ASL and spoken English
- Deaf interpreters will effectively interpret between ASL, Tactile American Sign Language, other forms of visual communication, and written English
- Adhere to Sorenson policies and procedures, and the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct
- Provide excellent customer service while maintaining a respectful and professional attitude with customers and colleagues
- Work effectively in a team environment; receive support from and provide support to colleagues
- Exhibit the ability to meet performance and customer service expectations with minimal supervision
- Enhance interpreting skills through continuing education and training
- Maintain, as applicable, compliance with any national, state, or local licensure and/or certification requirements
- Maintain a flexible work schedule to meet the various interpreting needs in the community setting
- Possess the ability to work effectively in a fast paced, dynamic environment in a variety of settings and locations
- Fully comply with Sorenson Communications attendance requirements
- Effectively represent the Sorenson Communications brand when interacting with customers in the field
- Work with intern students or provide mentoring when appropriate and as assigned
- Be prompt and prepared for each interpreting engagement
- Flexible with assignment changes
- Ability to use technology for accurate reporting for billing, scheduling and service evaluation.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to complete additional and other duties as assigned
- Sorenson Communications is committed to connecting people every day through communications access 24/7/365. Our customers rely on us and our innovative technology to quickly deliver accuracy in every conversation. We are industry leaders because, in all our endeavors, our customers sense our passion, our care, and our commitment. This dedication extends to our workplace. Our employees are united and proud to be part of important human interactions and understand that everything we do to facilitate communication creates connections and enhances relationships between people.
- Sorenson Communications, LLC. offers Video Relay Service (VRS), which gives Deaf, who use American Sign Language (ASL), and hearing people the option to communicate in their preferred language - either ASL or spoken English or Spanish. Sorenson also provides onsite and remote interpreting services between various languages.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Sorenson Communications is an EOE, Disability/Age Employer.