About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture and commerce, our brands drive conversation and inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, and obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed, Inc. is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news and entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, and creative; and inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders and creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks and HuffPost to come.
The Vice President, SOX Internal Controls is responsible for leading the overall SOX implementation function for the organization. SOX is a significant regulatory requirement, which requires management to document, assess and make representations about the effectiveness of its internal control structure surrounding financial reporting. Participation in this requires understanding of internal control activities, interpretation of the regulation and coordination of activities across the division.
The position reports to the SVP, Global Corporate Controller. This role can be office-based in Los Angeles or New York city.
- Provide framework for overall financial risk and control framework and governance over SOX processes
- Develop and implement policies and procedures as it relates to the various work streams within the group
- Identify, document and assess key risks and controls across Finance and Operations, as well as work with the business areas to institute proper controls and remediation strategies including scoping methodology and process mapping.
- Develop, execute and review narratives, risks assessments, and test plans to assess the effectiveness of internal controls
- Liaise with VP, Internal Auditto summarize programs, evaluate results and potential impact to internal controls
- Propose recommendations for changes to address root cause of issues and participate and implement agreed upon remediation plans
- Identify gaps between implemented controls and key risks and recommend remediation actions
- Track metrics and coordinate reporting to project working groups, steering committees, senior management, internal audit, and external auditors Manage and coordinate with the Information Technology SOX lead to lead synergies across both business and IT SOX functions
- Lead annual fraud questionnaire initiatives and issue memos summarizing the results
- Execute high-profile special projects in partnership with Financial leadership and/or executive management
- Bachelor's Degree
- 12+ years of experience in audit or related field
- CPA preferred
- Experience in implementing and executing an initial SOX compliance program is strongly preferred.
- Deep understanding of internal control design and testing concepts, and practical experience with performing internal audit assessments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including delivering difficult messages
- Experience in communicating with senior management, Board of Directors, and Audit Committees
- Demonstrated risk assessment and management skills
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
At BuzzFeed, Inc., we want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.
"BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
EEO is the law"