How many people can answer the question, "What do you do for a living?" with the answer, "I help find cures for cancer." At LLS, employees take our mission seriously. Whether you work in one of our chapters, are an accountant at the national office or a specialist in our Information Resource Center, you work each day on making our mission a reality: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. Join us and give new meaning to the word, "job."
The Director, Research Programs at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) will manage and improve existing academic grants programs and provide support for new grant programs. Responsible for implementing grants review and progress assessment activities. The incumbent will also provide scientific support as needed for LLS's Therapy Acceleration Program, Patient Services Programs, Constituent Experience and Donor Development departments and work closely with the entire Research department to implement the research strategy and achieve annual goals.
As a valued member of LLS, you are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package. Our offerings include medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; flexible spending accounts; a 403b retirement plan along with generous paid time off. In addition, we observe federal paid holidays throughout the year, and offer a wellness program and an employee assistance program.
All employees are required to provide proof of vaccination for COVID-19 in connection with performing in-person work at an LLS office or other location, or before attending any LLS sponsored event, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved, consistent with applicable law.
While employees may be permitted to work remotely, travel to the assigned office, HUB or Satellite Offices may be required as determined by the employee's manager and the employee's Strategic Talent Partner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the successful performance of several academic grant programs including managing grant programs, writing request for proposals, and updating the guidelines. Will work closely with VP of Research to conduct these duties.
- Continually monitor and implement improvements to the grant program process.
- Assess and communicate research progress via review of grantee progress reports, analysis of yearly metrics and success reports.
- Assist grants managers and administrators on all aspects of the peer review and grants management process.
- Communicate scientific information in support of LLS Therapy Acceleration Program, Patient Services Programs, Constituent Experience and Donor Development activities.
- Update Research team with new and consequential science as well as potential therapeutics on the horizon. Ongoing review of and reporting on scientific literature.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the LLS mission and programs to promote the field and campaign fundraising initiatives.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- PhD degree in Biological or Medical Sciences
- 4+ years relevant post-doctoral degree experience (postdoctoral research preferred)
- The incumbent will have cancer research experience, preferable in blood cancers
- Demonstrated familiarity with broader oncology field
- Experience in the oversight and implementation of a wide variety of timeline-driven projects.
- Highly motivated, with excellent analytical, organizational, and time management skills
- Must be proactive and willing to do a wide variety of scientific and administrative oversight.
- Proactive leader with proven record of relationship development and process improvement
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills will be particularly important due to the collaborative nature of this job. Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced, team environment.
- Proven experience with grants submission and peer review process is desirable.
- Familiarity with drug development in Oncology is desirable
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations
- Work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations
- May work weekends on occasions, related to program reviews and conferences
- Travel required - 5%
- Average salary range is $105k-$120k, open to further discussion
LLS is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in its workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender, gender identity and expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, race, color, creed, national origin/ancestry, citizenship, religion, genetic predisposition or information, physical or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. LLS seeks such skilled and qualified individuals to share our mission and where they will join a cohort of others who have chosen to call LLS home. LLS complies with all applicable laws which prohibit discrimination and harassment in the workplace, and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment supportive of all of our employees and the communities we serve. **All LLS employees are required to provide proof of vaccination for COVID-19 before beginning work at LLS unless a valid medical, religious, or other exemption is approved consistent with applicable law.**